Sunday, September 30, 2012

Top 10 Pinterest Party Tips




My teenage daughter had a Pinterest Party this summer. As is becoming increasingly common when it comes to her social calendar, I was totally jealous! She had all her Pin-happy friends pick a craft and bring a goody from a recipe found on Pinterest and they got pinspired. My contribution was opening my rather jam-packed craft closet and being on hand to step in should any pintrosities arise.

Here are my TOP TEN TIPS for a successful Pinterest party:

TIP # 1
Have a small craft for those who don't bring one. This was a genius idea from my daughter. A few of the girls weren't too into Pinterest (can you imagine?!) or were too busy to pull together the materials, but once they got there were totally into it. My daughter provided all the materials to make cute hairbows--a perfect craft for teenage girls.  Problem solved.

TIP # 2
Put a time limit on the party, but realize the party will run long. I love these girls, but they were at my house from 1-7 pm. Too long. Much too long. We should have set the party from 1-5 pm, and expected it would run until 6. That would have been perfect. You can also suggest in the invite that guests consider the party length when choosing their craft.

TIP # 3
One that note, gently suggest your guests arrive on time. It was the girls who arrived late who stayed late.

TIP # 4
The host should have an ample craft closet, with lots of tools, so everyone doesn't have to bring every last  little item. Provide a list of what will be on hand in the invite. 

TIP # 5
That said, hide your precious crafting items. I hid parts of  the bead and ribbon collections I've curated over the years, but scissors, glue, glue dots, glue guns, paper cutters, paper punches, an x-acto knife, sharpies,  felt, scrap material, yarn, sewing essentials, colorful papers, fabric paint and a slew of other items were theirs for the taking. I wouldn't go out and buy anything, however. It's impossible to know what will be needed.

TIP # 6
Separate the food space from the crafting space!! Lava cake and tulle don't mix!

TIP # 7
The host should plan a salty/savory snack to balance out all the sweet stuff! Maybe it was because they're teenagers, but the sweet dishes waaay outnumbered the savory ones. 

TIP # 8
Keep the party numbers small and make sure each girl has plenty of working space. Let your home size dictate the number of invitees. My dining room isn't yet decorated--just a big table and piano, and not much else, so it was the perfect place to set up. That, with the kitchen table, was enough space for the 10 girls who came to my daughter's party.

TIP # 9
This worked for us, but it might not be right for you, but you may want to plan a craft store run about 30 minutes into the party for the items people will inevitably forget. We sent someone out on an emergency crafting run, and it was a lifesaver for some of the girls.

TIP # 10
Use an evite or facebook event page to invite your guests. Ask that they list the craft and food they are bringing in the comment section. We had waaay too many sweet items. This definitely could have been foreseen with an evite or facebook event page. Plus, the girls could have teamed up and shared crafting supplies. And, hey--what better way to get inspired and pumped up for the event than hearing everyone's plans? Take a look at my Pinterest Party custom Evite--it's free!--for a way to make your evite really special.

BONUS TIP: An idea: My daughter is 17, but I think this would be the perfect mother-daughter party for the 11-12 year-old set. I would love an excuse to get all crafty with my daughter and teach her what I know. Plus the additional crafting knowledge in the room would be invaluable.



Ready to start planning your Pinterest party? Me too! So much fun!

Anyone else out there had a Pinterest Party? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest Parties are the best! My daughter had so much fun!

      Delete